Financial Leaders: Honoured to be asked
This scripture spoke to me about the roles different ones play in building God’s house and extending His Kingdom on Earth. In this instance it is the role of Financial Leaders in providing the cedar and pine.
Something to think about…
The questions this passage asks of us might include:
- Am I gifted in work, business, finance and deal making?
- Do I recognise the gift and calling on my life?
- Have I aligned this gifting and calling with God’s eternal purposes on earth?
- Have I embraced willingly the call to provide “timber and logs” for building the temple?
- Have I committed to all that is required, to bringing all the cedar and pine?
- As a Financial Leader- am I positioned regularly in the House to receive in return – to receive from the royal house true food nourishing my inner man?
Preparations for Building the Temple
1 Kings 5:1-9
1 When Hiram king of Tyre heard that Solomon had been anointed king to succeed his father David, he sent his envoys to Solomon, because he had always been on friendly terms with David. 2 Solomon sent back this message to Hiram: 3 “You know that because of the wars waged against my father David from all sides, he could not build a temple for the Name of the Lord his God until the Lord put his enemies under his feet. 4 But now the Lord my God has given me rest on every side, and there is no adversary or disaster. 5 I intend, therefore, to build a temple for the Name of the Lord my God, as the Lord told my father David, when he said, ‘Your son whom I will put on the throne in your place will build the temple for my Name.’ 6 “So give orders that cedars of Lebanon be cut for me. My men will work with yours, and I will pay you for your men whatever wages you set. You know that we have no one so skilled in felling timber as the Sidonians.” 7 When Hiram heard Solomon’s message, he was greatly pleased and said, “Praise be to the Lord today, for he has given David a wise son to rule over this great nation.” 8 So Hiram sent word to Solomon:“I have received the message you sent me and will do all you want in providing the cedar and juniper logs. 9 My men will haul them down from Lebanon to the Mediterranean Sea, and I will float them as rafts by sea to the place you specify. There I will separate them and you can take them away. And you are to grant my wish by providing food for my royal household.”
Financing the Kingdom
Ephesians 4:7 –
However, he has given each one of us a special gift through the generosity of Christ.
Financial Leaders are those who have the gift of giving and a call on their lives to do business, to succeed in the market place or professionally, to see and create deals, to buy & sell businesses, to acquire land, or to create developments. In seeking first the kingdom of God, this calling releases finance for God’s kingdom and building the House of God. This holy calling, with the gift of giving, is an essential part of the body of Christ in creating a pathway for salvation and social justice in our generation. Recognising this gifting often brings peace and alignment of the heart to business men and women – answering the question – what on Earth am I here for?
Skilled and experienced
Like King Hiram of Tyre and the Sidonians – Financial Leaders – are positioned and skilled for the building of the temple. “There is no one so skilled in felling timber as the Sidonians” / “there is no one so skilled in generating finance building God’s house and the kingdom as Financial Leaders”.
Honoured to be asked
Hiram [Financial Leaders] was honoured to partner with God’s appointed leader of the time – Solomon – in providing for the temple. They sent message in return to the request from Solomon:
- “I have received the message you sent me” – this is a matter of the heart. We can hear but not receive a message, we can participate out of obligation or positively through recognising the value we bring. He was honoured to be asked, to be on the team.
- …“and will do all you want in providing the cedar and juniper logs” – this is a commitment to see it through to the end, a commitment of wholeheartedness, to owning this part of the project.
The Sidonians, Hiram and their families were richly fed in return. Being planted in the House means we are spiritually fed (and very often naturally too!). Our spirit and souls are nourished. Our true, inner selves are sustained, encouraged and lifted. It is through this we can go to greater heights, recognise our purpose and leave a legacy.
Want to know more about leaving a LEGACY and Financial Leadership? Email us at [email protected]
Steve Clark Business Pastor LIFE